Sunday, March 02, 2008

Turn-Around Fade-Away Caucus

I play basketball every Tuesday night with a group of guys from the Unitarian church. Well, I did till my I broke my toe saving that family in the fire.

We call the group "WHoops" and it's for skill-challenged older guys (over 30 or so). In the two years I've played, the skill level has increased, with the best and the worst players generally dropping off. I moved from solidly average to remarkably not so good. I have one shot - a turn-around fade-away jump shot that, when I'm having a good night, is a thing of beauty. I believe I've had two "good nights" in two years. I make up for my lack of shooting ability with an inability to jump, a reluctance to run, and an unbelievable lack of dribbling skills.

It's a fun game and a good group of guys. We're older Unitarians, so there's not much trash talk, lots of supportive words, and regular discussions on rules and sportsmanship. It is in fact, to my knowledge, the only pick-up basketball game that is shutting down this Tuesday so that the members can attend the Texas caucus.

"You call that a vote?"
"My grandmother could caucus better than you!"
"Pass the ballot. I'm open!"

No comments: