Monday, April 23, 2007

The Great Doodlebug Massacre of Ought-Six



The news is ugly these days. Death, war, massacres. At my house, we still have trouble talking about last year's great tragedy.

It started with good intentions. We had just moved into our new house, and Alexis had discovered that we had an abundance of doodlebugs (pillbugs, rolly pollies, woodlouse, etc.). She started to gather them up. And then thought they might like a new habitat. So she put her 37 new friends in a baggie. So far, so good. Of course, they needed food and a place to make a home, so some shredded grass did the trick.

If only that was the end. Alexis, knowing that all living creatures need water to survive, then filled the baggie habitat with a few inches of water. I do not know the sound of doodlebug screams, but I bet if we had listened closely...

After they stopped moving, she poured them back out onto the back porch. When they still didn't move, she decided that they were all sleeping and declared that she wanted to play on the computer. Jill and I quickly removed the carcasses. We decided that we would tell her they wandered off, if she asked. She didn't. I think she knew. I think we all learn this lesson at some point. At least, I thought we did... until I watched the news.

No comments: