Tuesday, August 28, 2007

King Russell, the Chile Hearted



The Benevolent reign of His Royal Majesty, Russell Smith, the Chile King, bgan at 6:04 pm Sunday, August 26th, in the year of our Lord two thousand and seven.

My Gasp-Hatch-O was chosen as the best recipe from a panel of judges. I think I now get a LOT of Hatch Chile peppers. Which is cool. As you can see, I got a crown, but Abby and Alexis won't let me have it back. I have convinced them to call me Chile King once or twice. But 1st grade started yesterday, so my victory is no longer the most intersting thing of the week.

I alternate between seeing this title as aristocracy and pageant. Sure, I am the "Chile King," but I don't really have any Chile Subjects and can't make any Chile decrees. My girls did agree to be Chile Princesses.

I think, though, that the title is more like Miss America. I hold it for a year, I'm an ambassador for hatch chiles peppers (and of course world peace), and if anyone ever finds those unfortunate pictures of me on the internet, I will have to relinquish the crown to the first runner up (the big, sweaty guy who made a three-egg hatch chile fritatta). I have the parade wave down, and am scheduled for a Boat Show in Schenectedy in September.

It's good to be the king.

1 comment:

megnar324 said...

Hey, I was the Houston winner! Have you used up all of your chiles yet? I have made vats of my winning ice cream, but it doesn't use up that many.

Luckily I have managed to give away most of them and just have a few pounds left in the freezer!