Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Rasta Achy Breaky Dad

First grade Parent Night was a couple of weeks ago. With twins, Jill and I have to divide and conquer. This year I got Abby's class since I went to Alexis' last year. The classrooms are down the hall from each other, which will make popping back and forth on "Dads and Doughnuts" Day more difficult. Last year, I kept getting up from one classroom and leaving to go to the other. The other dads kept giving me a "what the HELL could be SO IMPORTANT that you need to leave your kindergartener ALONE on Dads and Doughnuts Day?" look. It's the same look I've given to parents who answer their phone during a ballet performance with their child. I finally consolidated the two into one classroom and got the "Oh, he has twins, he's not just being a jerk" look.

The Parent Night was a lovely trip through the girls' classroom and their normal schedules. We looked at their journals (it's still OK at 6), sat in their tiny little chairs, and heard about what they would be learning. There was a little card for us to leave our child a note for the next day, and nametags that they had made for mom and dad to wear.

I'm not sure if Abby believes that I am a black man with long hair, wishes she had a black family, or simply believes that her "real family" gave her to us. Black dad does seem very happy, while Alexis' white dad looks a bit smug.

Truly, I think the most disturbing thing is that Abby's black dad has a mullet.

No comments: