Thursday, November 15, 2007

Beware the Fundraising Smiths

If I were you, I'd be wary of any letter, e-mail or phone call emanating from the Smith clan these days. We love all of you (well, most of you), and I'm not advocating cutting us off. Perhaps I'm just publishing fair warning.

My job has always been about raising money. So you know you may get something from me every once in awhile about YouthLaunch. And now I joined the board at Austin Groups for the Elderly (an organization my grandmother started 20 years ago), so you know you'll be hearing from me, especially when the AGE Dinner rolls around.

Jill has been doing walk-a-thons with groups at work, and has recently committed to the MS 150, where she will ride her bike from Houston to Austin to raise money for MS. The girls joined Girl Scouts a few months back as Brownies, so, yes, you will need to buy some cookies (I know, twist my arm!). But Girl Scouts also sell almonds, trefoils (whatever the hell those are) and cajun flavored holiday mix, and likely some yet-to-be-announced summer product. The "public" school is selling something pretty much year-round (wrapping paper, entertainment books, coupons to be redeemed for extra praise and attention in the classroom, etc.), so we try to pass that fun onto others. And now that the damn cat has been diagnosed with diabetes, don't be surprised to get a call from him about the Feline Diabetes Association for their spring fundraiser "Sit Around and Do Nothing But Lick My Fur." He'll want pledges.

Of course, we reciprocate. Doing the Race for the Cure? We're with you. Selling sugary crap? I'll take two. Have a pet with syphilis? Have him gave us a call.

And, should you be interested in supporting YouthLaunch or Austin Groups for the Elderly, visit Here or Here

No comments: