Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Bread & Grain Week Redux

Apparently the matzo was a hit. Zach's mother (Abby's class - or maybe Alexis, who remembers?) was walking her dog past our house and stopped to tell me that little Zach asked if he could ride his bike over to our house and get the recipe to make matzo. The dry, unleavened, taste-free bread. I gave her directions to HEB.

Alexis (or was it Abby?) brought home some Amish Friendship Bread. You mess with it for 10 days, keep adding things to it, and then give starter bags to four friends and cook the remainder. You put so much sugar and cinnamon in it that I understand why one would agree to be friends. I'd help put up a barn. Although I would require an extra slice every 15 minutes or so for energy.



We gave the starter bags to various neighbors tonight. Most had seen or heard of the concept, but Mrs. Joh looked very confused. Her English (which is infinitely better than my Korean) is still sketchy. I guess that if a Korean neighbor brought over a baggie of milky liquid with an instruction sheet written entirely in Korean and told me that I would need to put in ten days worth of work to get a single loaf of bread, I might give them the look Mrs. Joh gave me.

No comments: