Monday, December 15, 2008

Ten Years and $12.50 Later

We have finished the state quarter collection. Hawaii has been minted, circulated and collected. The end lacks something. Closure? Excitement?

I'm not sure what I expected, though. Upon putting the final quarter into the book, a secret passageway would open up revealing a treasure of gold (and myrrh)? I've played WAY too many video games. Total and complete knowledge of the states, their histories, and their gross domestic product? Not from 1 inch coins. Perhaps SOME sense that my ten year collection, going through two waves of children, requiring infinite patience (in 10 week increments) and keeping track of a single collector's book for an entire decade, amounts to something more than a handful of change that Abby will raid to play Dance Dance Revolution in 2011?

I've given the best years of my life to collecting these damn quarters! And the US Mint moved on. Dollar coins are the new quarters, and they are producing one about every 10 weeks, focusing on US Presidents. And with 44 presidents and counting, factoring in potential new presidents over the time span, "voila!" Something else to collect for a decade.

You will not suck me in, United States Mint. I will NOT collect dollar coins, starting with the twins, keeping the collection going through the college years, and picking it back up with the grandchildren. I am done with your stupid coins.

But that new Martin Van Buren dollar is kinda cool...

No comments: